Wednesday, July 22, 2015

St. Mary Magdalene.

Today is the feast day of the patroness of our diocese and the titular of our cathedral, St. Mary Magdalene.

There is a story, perhaps apocryphal or perhaps not--I hope it is true, that our first bishop, Lawrence Scanlon selected the name as a response to the Mormons. Historical and still officially the Mormons teach that the Catholic Church is the Church of the Whore of Babylon. "They call us the church of a whore, do they. Well, we will be the church of a whore."

"But Father wait a minute. Mary Magdalene wasn't a whore. That was just an evil patriarchal plot to denigrate a strong woman!" Admittedly, Sacred Scripture is silent on her profession as it is silent on her identity with Mary of Bethany. However, it is present in tradition. I will go with tradition every time over the fads of academe. And I fail to see how it lessens her. Did St. Paul's pre-conversion persecution of the Church lessen him? Did St. Augustine's former wild life lessen him? No. It makes God's grace even more wondrous. It also gives the rest of us sinners hope. If God can make great saints of them, what can he do for us?

"Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? When I entered your house, you did not give Me water for my feet, but she has bathed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give Me a kiss, but she has not ceased kissing My feet since the time I entered. You did not anoint My head with oil, but she anointed My feet with ointment. So I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven; hence, she has shown great love. But the one to whom little is forgiven, loves little.”
blog comments powered by Disqus