Thursday, August 13, 2009

Don't Do Me Any Favors.

Look at this gem from Catholic Cartoon Blog. It was inspired by a post by Father Daren Zehnle and the reaction he received from commenting on attire during Mass. This reminds me of an incident that happened while I was serving in the Air Force Reserve. I was serving my annual two week tour. I touched upon Mass attire, though I can't remember what I actually said. Well evidently, I hit a nerve. I was informed that "they" had decided that we should just be happy that "they" were at Mass. The next weekend, the base commander even made a point of showing up in shorts and flip flops and sitting in the front row. (I was annoyed to say the least. I wonder what he would have thought if I had showed up for an inspection simillarly dressed and said, "Hey, just be glad I am here.") The point is that you are not doing God, the Church, the priest, or anyone a favor by showing up or just showing up. Jesus is the one doing the favor for us. He became incarnate for us, died for us, rose for us, and comes to us at each Mass. The least we can do in response is to show gratitude and respect to Him. One of the ways we show respect is by our dress. (Don't think this matters, try dressing like a slob at work or on your next date.) A parishoner's Baptist preacher uncle is quoted as saying, "Give God you best. If that is a pair of clean overalls and a t-shirt, that's fine, but give Him your best."
blog comments powered by Disqus