Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Deathmaster--The Aftermath.

Veni. Vidi. Vici. I watched the terror of my childhood and survived intact. No, I didn't find it frightening this time, but I could see why I did. It had it's fair share of chills three I remembered well still held up: the bowl of leeches which ended up being thrown in Korda's face, the killing of the old hippie's fluffy brown dog (dog killings in movies always bug me), and the accidental staking of the old hippie by the hero (note to all aspiring vampire slayers, always open the coffin to make sure your best friend hasn't been placed there as a sick joke by Count Comicbook). The dialogue was goofy with lots of groovy and far-out stuff. The same can also be said of the costumes. (The hero's Conan hair was pretty scary.) All in all a good B-movie. (Eegahinc at The B Movie Catechism could have some fun with this one.) But, it is a little sad that I didn't find it more frightening; ah the effects of age.

(N. B. I only made it through 15 minutes of Teenage Exorcist. It was simply awful, but not in a good way. Stupid story with gratuitous T&A.)

P. S. Which of my childhood terrors still hold up? The Exorcist, The Omen, The Nightstalker, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Hell House, and Trilogy of Terror (gotta love that Zuni fetish doll).
blog comments powered by Disqus