Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let The Deification Begin.

I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of Michael Jackson nor was I ever much of a Farrah Fawcett fan. Therefore, much of the hype surrounding their deaths is lost on me. Certainly, I sympathize with the grief of their friends and families and I will remember them in my prayers (something I do when I hear of anyone's death).

However, I sincerely doubt they are worthy of the adulation which is now being heaped upon them. Yes, they were a talented singer and a beautiful actress, but that hardly makes them worthy of the current apotheosis. It reminds me of the hype surrounding the death of Princess Diane or the picture I once saw of Jesus welcoming Elvis into heaven--definitely crossing the border of proportion. They are simply celebrities and yet the deification will continue.

It is a sign of our society's unhealthy cult of celebrity. Get a grip folks. Pray for them certainly but because they are our siblings in Christ not because of their fame.
blog comments powered by Disqus