Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Did I Miss Something?

In a comment on the previous post regarding Punctuality, Ellen, said the following:
Oh, and leaving Mass to use the bathroom is now an Olympic sport.

Well, that sport seems to have spread rapidly, everywhere. No, I am not talking about little kids or older folks with bladder control issues. These are normal, health people who should be able to hold their water for an hour, or at least remember to go beforehand. It is particularly disturbing when they get up for their potty break during the Eucharistic Prayer. In effect they are saying, "Hey Jesus, hold that thought. I will be right back."

This reminds me of a story I heard in a previous parish. A retire Jesuit priest was working as the parochical vicar at Notre Dame in Price, Utah. His name was Fr. Joseph Schue. (It is pronounced Shoe. This is a parish with a permanent deacon named Dean Foote. Honest, I am not making this up.) Anyway, Father Schue noticed and got more and more disgusted the constant procession to the restroom during Mass. He finally lost it and said, "Did I miss something in the last 20 years? Did bladders suddenly get smaller?"

Hmmmm, maybe we did miss something.
blog comments powered by Disqus