Friday, November 21, 2008

Vampire Day Comes To Orthometer.

There is a new vampire movie out today, Twilight. Evidently, it is selling well. Ordinarily, I would be happy. I like vampire movies. Unfortunately, this isn't a real vampire movie. It is a "poor-misunderstood-angstridden-creature of the night" movie; think Anne Rice. Amy Wellborn criticizes it for "overheated needy romanticism". I don't understand the tendency to reinterpret evil as good and good as evil. (In a lot of revisionist vampire fiction, the hunters are presented as evil narrow-minded bigots. How dare you judge blood drinking corpses! Commentaries on Dracula like to insult Van Helsing, Harker, Holmwood, and Morris and exalt the Count.) None of that for me! I like the clear cut good v. evil let's stake the bloodsucker tales.
blog comments powered by Disqus