Monday, November 03, 2008

Did I Do Enough?

"So you, son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from My mouth, you shall give them warning from Me. If I say to the wicked man, O wicked man, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way; he shall die in his iniquity, but you will have saved your life." --Ezekiel 33: 7-9.

These words have weighed heavily on my conscience of late. I ask myself, "Have I done enough to prepare my flock for the momentous moral decision our country faces?" Yes, I have preached the Church's teaching on the sanctity of innocent human life. Yes, I have preached on our responsibility to act in accord with the Church's teaching all of time, even in the voting both. We have respect life signs in the church. We distributed the Catholic Answer's voters guide.
I could take comfort in the fact that I am not one of those shepherds who walks on eggshells lest he offend someone. I am not a priest who give money to Obama knowing that he stands against the most important values taught by the Church. I haven't channeled Bernardin's seamless garment non-sense. And while this is all true, it seems rather hollow today.
I can't help but wonder if I could have done more. Whether or not I should have spoken about the sanctity of life and traditional (i.e. real) marriage more often. Maybe I should have taken the risk and bluntly said from the pulpit, "No Catholic can in good conscience vote for Obama. If you do so, you are risking your soul." I hope I did enough and if I didn't that God and the innocents will forgive me.
blog comments powered by Disqus