Wednesday, September 03, 2008

What-Where-When Meme.

Stolen from Karen the Gem of San Diego Bay.

1. President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963

I was about a year and a half from existence

2. England's World Cup Semi Final v Germany - 4 July 1990

I was in Cuernavaca, Mexico suffering from a wonderful Giardia infection. Not being a soccer fan, I just remember that everything ground to a halt when there was a World Cup game on. On this day however, the language school had a Fourth of July Party for us gringos. They served Muppetos (tequilla shooters with 7-Up).

3. Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990

This was the first semester of my second year of theology. This means that I was studying my buttocks off for Fr. Jeremy's Liturgical Theology class. What were those psycho Brits thinking? They should have kept her forever.

4. Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997

Second year of my first pastorate. Remember thinking to myself, "So? It is sad when anyone dies before their time, but it isn't like she was Mother Theresa." I still can't understand her deification.

5. Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001

I was doing my morning blogcrawl before Mass, when the sister who worked for me called and asked whether or not I had the TV on. I didn't but when I did, I was floored. All I could think of was the Tom Clancy novel where the airliner was crached into the Capital. After saying Mass rather shell-shocked, I spent the rest of the day watching the tube and waiting for the Air Force Reserve call up that never came.

6. The election of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger to the papacy - 19 April 2005

Sitting at my desk listening to EWTN and playing World of Warcraft. (Yes, I know I am a geek.) When they said that the bells were going off, I went and got the ladies from the office. All the time I was waiting, I was praying for either Ratzinger or Arinze. When he came out on the balconey, I shouted, "YES!" Then I called my Italian Monsignor friend and told him the two words he had previously poo-pooed, "German Pope."
blog comments powered by Disqus