Friday, August 22, 2008

The Fifth Mark Of The Church.

When I was beginning study at the seminary, I was introduced to a priest from my home parish. He was ordained for another diocese and has been a very good friend. (He is also one of the few people who is almost as conservative as me.) I have always remembered one of the things he said to me in our first conversation. It went something like this:

Don Vincente: Erik, always remember the fifth mark of the Church.

Me: Fifth mark?? (Thinking that father had gone off into lala-land.)

Don Vincente: The Church is One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic and funny.

I had a good laugh over it at the time. But increasingly over the years, I have come to realize how right he was. A lot of funny things happen it the Church. Not in a sacrilegious or mocking sense (those these happen too), but joyful and happy things. Take for example, the innocent malapropisms that happen during the readings: the letter of St. Paul to the Filipinos, flaming brassieres, and once an unfortunate mispronunciation of organism in a pre-Mass announcement. Little children at Mass: "I just went poopie!"and "Is he done yet?" Somehow I don't think the Lord minds when we finds these entertaining and smile.
blog comments powered by Disqus