Friday, April 18, 2008

Papal Reflections.

Today, I had lunch with a permanent deacon friend. He asked me what I thought about the papal visit. I was somewhat taken aback. I hadn't fallen into critical mode yet, I have been too busy listening to what the Holy Father had to say. I am continually amazed at his ability to state clearly and compellingly the Gospel. I don't think this is due primarily to his brilliance, but rather to his charism as the Vicar of Christ. We are hearing the voice of Christ speaking through one whom He has sent. May God grant us all the grace to listen!

I was especially touched by his meeting with the victims of clergy abuse. This was no mere exercise in symbolism. I hope the bishops take to heart his words of this subject.

Now for the criticism of the visit itself.

1) I wish that the Holy Father would have been able to visit more of the US than just the North East. (Or the left coast for that matter.) Flyover country exists too.

2) I wish that he had ignored the UN. May God save us from world government!

3) That whoever planned the music for the DC event be sentenced to a decade of penance under the tutelage of the monks of Solemnes. (I only hope that New York redeems our country's liturgical reputation, such as it is.)

Minor things all in all. God has truly blessed us in the person of Pope Benedict.
blog comments powered by Disqus