Saturday, April 21, 2007

"Hey Father, how are you going to celebrate Earth Day?"


Man, I hate Earth Day. Yet another bogus neo-pagan, Gaia worship festival. Where did it come from? Hippies! And no, I am not using hyperbole. Among the founders of Earth Day was Ira Einhorn, the Unicorn Killer. (Understandably, his role is disputed by other Earth Day types.) Regardless, it is not an expression of Christian stewardship of and concern for the environment, but rather pantheistic deification of nature. See this great column from Kathy the Relapsed Catholic! (Zuccetto Spin to Jeff 'Jesterius Magnus' Miller.)
I still celebrate Earth Day. My first year at the seminary, we had Earth Day events. I ignored most of them. However, one I couldn't ignore; the hell-spawned Earth Flag flapping in the Oregon wind for two months outside my window. The following year, I worked on the grounds crew, mainly pruning tree. One tree had been damaged in a wind storm and had to be removed. I waited until Earth Day, got out an axe, and chopped it down. ( I have a phobia of chainsaws.) When asked what I was doing, I said, "Everyday should be Earth Day!" So every Earth Day, I remove a diseased plant or tree.

blog comments powered by Disqus