Saturday, March 10, 2007

Why I blog under my own name

My favorite orthodox, pro-life, convert, serving at my home parish, Democrat blogging deacon has a great post on Blogging and Accountability. Give it a read especially if you are a blogger yourself.

We all need to be held accountable for what what we say and do in a public forum and, like it or not, the blogosphere is a public forum. This is one of the reasons I decided to blog under my own name. It keeps me honest. If I say something goofy as I have and will likely do again, I want you to know who it is who is saying it. Also, if I have personal opinions on theological matters that are not 'official Church teaching', I label them as such. (Though if the Church teaches it as to be believed by all Christians, I believe it; end of story.) This is also why I, in general, let comments even critical ones remain on the blog unless they are off topic or slanderous.

Update March 12, 2007

There are great and thoughtful comments on this topic, so make sure you look at them.

Let me clarify a point. Blogging under my own name keeps ME honest. There are good and valid reason, several are mentioned in the comments, for using a pen name. However, using my own name helps me to remember that I am a priest of the Roman Catholic Church 24/7.

In answer to Julie's question, a lot of my parishioners know about my blog and there is a link to it from the parish website.
blog comments powered by Disqus