Monday, March 12, 2007

Priest has Homer Moment


I got a call from one of our mortuaries on Saturday. They said that a lady from my parish had died and they needed to schedule a funeral. Well it seems the lady was actually from another parish in town but shared the last name of one of my parishioners. I assumed that it was her and included her name in the weekend's General Intercessions.
My funeral coordinator later called the woman's home intending to speak to her grand-daughter. When someone else answered the phone, it sounded an awful lot like Emma. It was Emma who is alive and well despite all the prayers for the repose of her soul this weekend.
What can I say except:
1) D'oh!
2) At least it wasn't as bad as when I asked the non-pregnant woman when she was expecting.
3) I am reminded of the line from Monty Python & The Holy Grail, "I'm not dead yet."
4) I am also reminded of Mark Twain's famous quip that the rumors of his death were greatly exaggerated.
blog comments powered by Disqus