Saturday, December 30, 2006

Movie Favorites Meme

The Caveman has slapped me upside the head with the Move Favorites Meme

Your Favorite Film? The Exorcist (1973) I was 8 when this came out and the radio commercial scared the #$#& out of me. Most people focus on the special effects or the more lurid elements, but it is the story and the acting that have me watching it again and again. Max von Sydow is excellent as Father Merrin. The story is a great rumination on the nature of evil and faith, or the lack thereof. The re-cut issued for the 20th anniversary was a distinct improvement especially in restoring an important conversation between the two priests. (Funny Exorcist Story: The first time I saw this move was when it played on network TV for the first time in 1980. The local then CBS affiliate is owned by the Mormon Church and they wouldn't air it until 10:30 pm. Two hours to watch the movie and then another two to be able to get to sleep--It was 2:30 am before I could get to sleep. The next day just about every kid at my junior high was a walking zombie due to sleep deprivation.) The only one of its sequels that came close was the original version of the prequel Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005). (I have also read that the original cut of The Exorcist III (1990) was worthwhile, but it isn't available.)


Your Favorite Film Priest? No, it is not Father Merrin. (He is a close second along with Father Chisholm from The Keys to the Kingdom (1944)). It is Father Peter Lonergan from The Quiet Man (1952). Ably played by Ward Bond, this priest is a man of faith who is also a man's man. (Unlike the all too frequent characterization of priests as ineffectual milquetoasts.) My favorite line of his is when he responds to Danaher's threat to join the Church of Ireland with, "As if they'd have you!"


Your Favorite Film Nun? I would have to agree with The Caveman and say Deborah Kerr in Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (1957). Her grace and faith remind me of the best religious sister I have known.

Extra Credit (Not in the Meme, but what they heck):

Favorite Older B-Movie? The Omega Man (1971) Charlton Heston! Gun! Mutants! It has it all. It fueled my childhood LaMOE (Last Man on Earth) fantasies and I have a framed, original poster!

Favorite Newer B-Movie? Army of Darkness (1992) The king of the Bs Bruce Campbell! Chainsaws! Deadites! And the best collection of movie one liners every! (Surpassing even Die Hard). "Now listen up, you primitive screwheads. See this? This... is my boomstick! The 12-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You *got* that?" It is just plain groovy!

I tag: The Crescat, Paul the Regular Guy, and TO of LAMland.
blog comments powered by Disqus