Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mount Angel Abbey and Seminary


Readers of this blog will know that I recently went to Oregon for a few days to pick up an icon for my new church. (As soon as the icon is mounted in the church, I will post a more detailed picture and a description.) The icon was written by Br. Claude Lane, OSB of Mt. Angel Abbey where I attended seminary.

Mt. Angel got some play in Good Bye, Good Men and I have to say that everything mentioned there was true. (I was there when most of it happened.) However, there were also some excellent teachers and priests involved in formation. The current abbot, The Right Rev. Nathan Zodrow, OSB was my formation director for two years. I was also privileged to have Fr. Jeremy Driscoll, OSB, who teaches half-time at the Gregorian and works on the Vox Clara Commission, as one of my teachers. The witness and life of the monks was always good. Even by the time GBGM came out there was a new rector and the problems mentioned had been taken care of.

I have visited several times since I graduated and have been very impressed with the progress the Seminary has made. There is a great prayerful, orthodox, and clerical spirit among the seminarians. (I had a couple come up to me and say, "Hey father, extra-points for the cassock!) Classes began while I visited and I was able to attend the Mass of the Holy Spirit. The current rector, Fr. Rick Paperini, gave an excellent homily which extolled the virtues of Frs. Michael McGivney and Vincent Capodanno. (A far cry from some of the non-sense I heard during my student days.) Later in the day, Fr. Ezechiel Lotz OSB gave an inaugural address that was very interesting.

An interesting fact about the seminary is that both the Discalced Carmelites and the Missionaries of the Holy Spirit have houses of studies there.

I have several friends in the Abbey. The Abbey itself is observant with habits being worn and the Rule of St. Benedict being taken very seriously.

If you ever have a chance to visit the Abbey and Seminary, avail yourself of it. Also, they are definitely worthy of any financial support you can give. Here is a link to their website.
blog comments powered by Disqus