Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The other remaining acceptable prejudice

My last name is German. However, it accounts for only a quarter of my total heritage. I like to refer to myself as a generic, Northern European mongrel. (One of the benefits of having Mormon relatives is that one's genealogy has been extensively researched.) Yet, because of the last name, German is what sticks for good or bad. (And for the record, I don't speak German. All I know is from Hogan's Heroes and what my grandfather would say when he was very mad.)

Twice now, I have had people respond to comments I have made on other blogs with statements to the effect, "Oh German, you must be a Nazi." Only they couched them much more subtly. The surprising, or really not so surprising thing, is that these comments invariably come from the Left; the tolerant, accepting ones. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, several people tried and continue to try to do the same with Pope Benedict.

OK folks listen up. Prejudice is bad, mmmkay. To judge someone by anything other than their actions is stupid. Nazism was a bizarre, leftist political philosophy. It is not a genetic trait. Continue to tar a whole people with it is just wrong. It is the similar to the kind of philosophy that would label all Jews Christ-killers because of the actions of a few people around AD 33.

One of my favorite novels, The Killer Angels, has the following quote, "The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit."
blog comments powered by Disqus