Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Evil 1970s Artifact Found in Old Sacristy


Even though we are in the new church, I am still going through the sacristy of the old church. It is amazing how much crap accumulates over time.

While doing this, I found an artifact of pure liturgical evil. I don't know what it is called. I don't want to know what it is called. All I know is that it was used to inflict folk Masses on innocent people.

Speaking of things found in the sacristry, a friend of mine, while on his 'year of pastoral torture' (working for liberal pastor who was trying to drive him out of formation) found a burlap chasuble with a big yellow smiley face on it hidden in the back of the vestment rack. Also, while visiting a priest friend out of state, he showed me a chasuble that belonged to his pastor. It had multi-colored children's handprints all over it. It gave me the creeps. (It really gave me the creeps when I heard he had been dismissed for child abuse.)

Update 14 August 2006 The smiley face chasuble mentioned about was sighted in Oregon. I have another confirmed sighting of the same in the Diocese of Lincoln in the late 1980s. (It must have been left over from Bishop Casey's tenure.)
blog comments powered by Disqus