Saturday, July 08, 2006

Need of Reform in the Catholic Church in America

I think it is safe to say that there are reforms that need to be made in the Catholic Church in America. (Please notice that I did not say the American Catholic Church. There is no such animal except in the dreams of aging Modernists.) Such reforms must have as their aim fidelity to the teachings of the Universal Church on the part of all believers and an increase in holiness within the lives of all believers. Fr. Benedict Groeschel speaks of this eloquently in his book The Reform of Renewal.

Here are the topics that I think need to be addressed.
1) Reform of catechesis of the young (CCD).
2) Reform of Catholic schools (make them Catholic in fact as well as name).
3) Clean up Newman Centers/Catholic Campus Ministries.
4) Catechesis of adults (educate those we missed during the decades of experimentation).
5) Reform of Seminaries and Religious Formation.
6) Reform of Priestly Life.
7) De-bureaucraticization of church administration. (Hey, I think I invented a new word.)
(addition) 8) Change in the process of how episcopal nominations are forwarded to Rome.

Over the next little while I will be posting on these topics, in no particular order, with my ideas on what should be done.
blog comments powered by Disqus